Top 5 Voluntary Faculty FAQs
1. How do I access Health Sciences Library electronic resources?
- Request a Voluntary Faculty OpenAthens user name and password by sending an email to email@example.com
- Visit the Library website to access databases, journals, ebooks, media, subject guides.
- Login when prompted using your OpenAthens credentials. Trouble logging in? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to reset your password: https://login.openathens.net/auth#forgottenpassword
2. What resources can I access as a voluntary faculty?
- Most electronic resources available through Upstate. The openathens credentials will give you access to all electronic resources available to the Upstate community except for UpToDate's app, the Micromedex platform, and a few journals and ebooks that are only available on campus. However, articles from these journals can be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
- Physical items in the Health Science Library. Visit the library for a borrowing card.
- Interlibrary Loan for articles and book chapters. Visit the interlibrary loan guide for voluntary faculty for more information.
- Primo, the library's discovery layer and catalog. This resource is free to search. Logging in provides the ability to save search results, see results from some databases like Scopus, and request, renew, and perform other actions on books housed in the library. A separate login is required. Contact the library if you are interested.
3. How do I access the full text of an article?
- Click the link Owned by Upstate? in the article abstract.
- Click the blue Article link to open the full text.
- If there is not an Article link, click Check the New York State Library (NYSL) (if you are eligible for a NYSL card)
4. Why should I get a New York State Library (NYSL) borrower card?
- Physicians licensed in NYS are eligible to apply for a NYSL borrower card and gain access to databases and journals in several relevant subject areas.
- More information and an application for a NYSL borrower card can be found here.
5. Where can I get books unavailable from the HSL or the NYSL?
- Connect with your local libraries.
- It is common for college and university libraries to allow visitors to use resources in the building.
- Public and community libraries offer interlibrary loan.
6. Who do I call for Help?
- Our Reference team will support you with your research questions, navigating the Library webpage, and finding articles.
- Our Technical support team will help you troubleshoot access problems when they occur.
- Our Interlibrary loan team will deliver articles and book chapters to you at no cost, please complete the form at the link!
- Last Updated: Oct 30, 2020 11:26 AM
- URL: https://guides.upstate.edu/voluntary
- Print Page