Writing & Publishing Support
What is RefWorks?
RefWorks is an online, web-based "citation manager" that allows you to:
- Store and organize your research references, and
- Format in-text citations and automatically create reference lists for your papers.
Upstate's library has purchased in institutional RefWorks license. It is freely available to all Upstate faculty, staff, and students.
Getting started with RefWorks
- Click on "Create account" at the bottom of the RefWorks login page.
- Be sure to create your account using your Upstate email account (not a Gmail or other personal email account).
- You will receive an email with a link to activate and finish creating your account.
Known Issue with some Office 365 Word versions
If you are having difficulty downloading Add-ins like Refworks Citation Manager on a personal computer, try the following to enable this add-on:
- Open MS Word from Office 365. At the top is an option to log out of Office 365.
- You will now be able to download Refworks Citation Manager (RCM) and insert your citations.
- Open Word in Office 365
- Click on FILE
- Scroll down to ACCOUNT
- At the next screen, Under USER INFORMATION, "sign out" of Office 365
This will not affect your documents in any way. After the initial setup, just remember, if you open Word within Office 365, you may need to "sign out" in order for the app to work.
"Current/New RefWorks" vs. "Legacy RefWorks"
NOTE: There are currently two versions of RefWorks available: RefWorks and "Legacy" RefWorks. The current version of RefWorks has a new interface with several new features and is being continually updated. While Legacy RefWorks is still available for use, it is no longer updated nor supported.
If you are a first-time RefWorks user, you should use the current version of RefWorks.
If you are a Legacy RefWorks user, library staff recommend transitioning to the current version of RefWorks.
Legacy RefWorks documentation
Write-N-Cite: If you have an Upstate managed PC and are using the legacy version of RefWorks to finish a paper, and need Write-N-Cite, you can add Write-N-Cite by searching the menu for "Software Center" and selecting Write-N-Cite. Note: this version may no longer work after October 2021. Library staff recommend transitioning to the current version of RefWorks and utilizing the RefWorks Citation Manager plugin instead.
- Last Updated: Oct 5, 2021 10:22 AM
- URL: https://guides.upstate.edu/writing
- Print Page