Copyright & Fair Use
What is Copyright?
Copyright for Students
The tools linked below can answer your copyright questions!
What can I use in my presentations?
Can I use videos from YouTube?
What is Fair Use?
The "Fair Use" doctrine provides an exception, or limitation, to copyright protection under specific conditions. Section 107 of the copyright law sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use qualifies as fair use:
- the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
- the nature of the copyrighted work;
- the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
- the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
- Last Updated: Oct 29, 2020 2:50 PM
- URL: https://guides.upstate.edu/copyright
- Print Page