How Can the Library Help?
The Upstate Health Sciences Library has a number of librarians who can assist with a literature search.
A literature search consultation might include one or more of the following:
- Refining the research topic to an answerable question
- Recommending information sources or databases for the search topic
- Identifying relevant search terms
- Creating and executing search strategies
- Suggesting reference management software and strategies
A librarian can also provide you with an expert search, which may include:
- Refinement of the search question
- Search term identification
- Identification of sources and databases to be searched
- Search strategy formulation and documentation
- Execution of searches
Are you interested in performing a systematic review? These types of reviews are more complex than a general literature review. See our Systematic Review Methods guide to learn more.
Do you want to meet with a librarian? Complete our Literature Review Request Form:
Before You Meet With Us
A meeting with a librarian will be most helpful for you if you do a little bit of planning and searching ahead of time. Prior to meeting with one of us, we recommend that you:
- Have a clear and concise understanding of your research question
- Be prepared to discuss the scope of your project, including limits on the body of literature
- Brainstorm search terms associated with your topics (acronyms, synonyms, and variations on spelling)
- Note any relevant literature you have found so far
Image Attributions and Copyright
Unless otherwise noted, these guides are derived from a similar guide at Welch Medical Library, Johns Hopkins University. The original guide is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic License and are attributable to the Welch Medical Library, Johns Hopkins University . Image and Icon Attributions: Icons8, licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0; WebFont Medical Icons Project, designed by Hablamos Juntos; Font Awesome 4.7
About The Health Sciences Library
The Upstate Health Sciences Library is a core service supporting students and employees across all Upstate Colleges, Programs, Centers of Excellence, and Clinical Locations. Together we are dedicated to providing exemplary customer service.
Contact The Health Sciences Library
Contact us for additional help with using Library resources (databases, e-journals, e-books or interlibrary loan) and services (reference, library instruction, study rooms, etc.).
- Last Updated: Feb 4, 2021 11:44 AM
- URL: https://guides.upstate.edu/expertsearching
- Print Page