Pre-Clerkship Library Resources
The information resources you need for medical school
- CDC Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)Collects data from telephone surveys about people’s health risk behaviors, chronic conditions and use of preventive services.
- CDC National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS)Provides information to support actions and policies relevant to health of the American people
- County Health Rankings & RoadmapSearch the health of any community by entering the zip code. Also has excellent resources (action center, community stories) for making change in your own community.
- DHHS Health Data portalDig into the latest public health data. From the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Google Dataset SearchSearch by keyword to locate data sets across the web
- Healthy People 2030US Department of Health's data-driven national objectives to improve health and well-being over the next decade.
- Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF)Focuses on national health issues and the U.S. role in global health policy. Click in the top left menu to access topics.
- Migration Data HubMigration trends worldwide. Find U.S. immigration and refugee data, international data, as well as interactive maps of these data.
- Syracuse Universty MPH data sources guideGlobal, National, and NY State
- Policy MapVery powerful interactive mapping tool with data on demographics, real estate, health, jobs and more in communities across the US.
- American Hospital Association SDOHClick on each interactive icon to view reports, case studies, webinars and videos on eight social determinants of health.
Local Resources (CNY)
- City Health DashboardGet the latest statistics on the health of the Syracuse, NY community. Choose from a variety of metrics or see a general overview.
- CNY Vitals web siteTracks data on economy, housing, health, demographics, poverty and education for Onondaga, Madison, Cayuga, Cortland and Oswego counties.
- NYS DOH StatisticsA-Z list of searchable data and reports in New York by topic
- Onondaga County Health DataData and statistics on the health of the community. Includes a link to the Community Health Assessment (CHA).
- Atlas of Rural and Small-Town AmericaMaps and statistics of rural populations by broad categories of socioeconomic factors, using U.S. Census data.
- Rural Data ExplorerSelect from a wide range of data on health disparities, health workforce, demographics, and various other indicators. Explore how metropolitan and non-metro counties compare, nationwide and by state.
Health Interventions Appraisal Tools
- Health EvidenceOver 8,000 quality-rated systematic reviews evaluating the effectiveness of public health interventions. Use the Advanced Search for best results
- The Community GuideEvidence-based findings for public health interventions
- What Works for HealthEvidence-based strategies for community health programs. From County Health Rankings and Roadmaps
- Last Updated: Mar 1, 2023 12:17 PM
- URL: https://guides.upstate.edu/preclerkship
- Print Page