MSI Information Literacy
LCME Standard 6.3: Self Directed and Lifelong Learning
LCME 6.3: 2. Assess the credibility of information sources
LCME 6.3: 4. Receive feedback on their information-seeking skills
Students will be able to:
- Compare and contrast different types of information resources.
- Select and access the most appropriate information sources for a given need.
- Use high-quality information sources for your class assignments and cite them appropriately.
I. Clinical/"Point of Care"
II. Background Information:
III. Biomedical research literature / "Evidence":
~ Included in PubMed/Medline
~ Peer reviewed journal
Ulrichsweb is an easy to search source of detailed information on more than 300,000 periodicals (also called serials) of all types: academic and scholarly journals, e-journals, peer-reviewed titles, popular magazines, newspapers, newsletters, and more.
~ Journal Impact Factor / JCR - Journal Citation Reports
The Journal Impact Factor (JIF) is the average number of times articles from the journal published in the past two years have been cited in the JCR year. The Impact Factor is calculated by dividing the number of citations in the JCR year by the total number of articles published in the two previous years.
Data / Statistics
Upstate Medical University upholds the highest standards of academic integrity. In order to meet these standards and protect themselves from potential pitfalls, both students and faculty should be aware of Upstate's guidelines in regard to academic dishonesty and plagiarism.
- Upstate offers Turnitin as a plagiarism detection tool within Blackboard to check student papers against existing sources.
- Confused about what and when to cite? See the Quick reference table from Duke University.
- Looking for more examples with a self-test? See "Recognizing and Avoiding Plagiarism" from Cornell University.
- Plagiarism.org provides information on the basics of documenting your sources correctly.
- Last Updated: Sep 3, 2020 3:50 PM
- URL: https://guides.upstate.edu/infolit
- Print Page