Interlibrary Loan Information
What is Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery?
Interlibrary Loan is the requesting of materials not owned by Upstate HSL to other libraries who do own and are able to share that material. Document Delivery is a broader term that includes Interlibrary Loan, but also purchasing material not owned by Upstate's HSL, or connecting Upstate users with HSL's collection in a more convenient way (such as scanning articles we own in print, putting items on hold, and delivery items to campus addresses).
What Can I Request?
Articles, book chapters, books, media, theses, dissertations, and more! There are items that we may not be able to acquire; such as items not available for purchase, not owned by other libraries, or electronic items whose licensing agreements prevent interlibrary sharing. We will attempt to find access for any request and exhaust all options available.
Quick Tips for Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Requests
Search the library website for the article/book you desire, and go to the abstract.
- If the article is not available via a free full text, PMC Full Text, or Open Access follow the "Owned by Upstate" link
- From the holdings page, if Upstate does not own the article or book, click "Get it from Interlibrary Loan"
- This link will auto-populate the ILL request form. It's very important to include as many details as possible. Important fields: Title, Journal Title, Year, pages, PMID, ISSN or ISBN. When you've entered all the details, click submit.
* If you are New York State Library (NYSL) eligible, click the blue "New York State Library Search" button across the top of the request form to search the NYSL for access. If you're not sure if you're eligible, see the Borrower's Card Application tab.
Citations that lack critical information are slower to process than those with all the details. It could be the difference between getting your article in a hour versus a multi-day delay!
Frequently Asked Questions
An FAQ page is available with common questions ask about the services offered by the Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Department.
About the Health Sciences Library
The Upstate Health Sciences Library is a core service supporting students and employees across all Upstate Colleges, Programs, Centers of Excellence, and Clinical Locations. Together we are dedicated to providing exemplary customer service.
Contact The Health Sciences Library
Contact us for additional help with using Library resources (databases, e-journals, e-books or interlibrary loan) and services (reference, library instruction, study rooms, etc.).
- Last Updated: Nov 17, 2020 10:33 AM
- URL: https://guides.upstate.edu/ILLhelp
- Print Page