Diversity in Medicine and Science at Upstate
Fuad S. Farah MD
Fuad Salim Farah was born in Haifa, Palestine in 1929. He left Palestine in 1946 to pursue his education, attending school in London for one year, before enrolling at the American University of Beirut (AUB) in Lebanon where he completed his BA in 1950 and his doctor of medicine degree in 1954. Dr. Farah completed his internship and residency with the Department of Medicine at the AUB’s American University Hospital. He was subsequently awarded a prestigious Rockefeller Foundation Scholarship in Immunology and Dermatology, which sent him to the Barnes Hospital (Washington University) in St. Louis to study under renowned Immunologist Dr. Hermann Eisen. Dr. Farah returned to the AUB where he cultivated an international reputation as a Professor of Medicine and Dermatology. In 1970, Dr. Farah established a World Health Organization (WHO) Immunology Research and Training Center, one of only six in the world, which serviced the entire Middle East. He served as Director of the WHO Center and established its PhD program in Immunology. Dr. Farah was twice decorated by the Lebanese government for his contributions to medicine.
Dr. Farah spent a year (1975) as a visiting professor at the Institute of Clinical Immunology in Bern, Swtizerland. He moved with his family to the United States in 1976 to escape the civil war erupting in Lebanon. Dr. Farah was offered the position of chief of the Dermatology unit at SUNY Upstate, which he held until 2003. He was succeeded as chief by his son, Ramsay Farah. Dr. Farah established his private practice in Syracuse in 1980. Farah Dermatology and Cosmetics LLC was a joint practice between Dr. Farah and his two children, Ramsay and Joyce, who still run the practice today.
Dr. Farah is a renowned expert on Leishmania, a parasitic disease. He has authored numerous papers, abstracts and textbook chapters. He has been the recipient of many awards from notable bodies including: The American Academy of Family Physicians, AOA Medical Honor Society, and the Onondaga County Medical Society (Distinguished Service Award, 2015).
Dr. Farah retired from Upstate in 2014 and was named Clinical Professor Emeritus. A Lectureship in his honor was established at the University in 2003. Dr. Farah retired from private practice in 2015.
Resources for Fuad S. Farah MD
1. Biographical Information for Fuad S. Farah MD
- Faculty Profile
Upstate Medical University
- Lectureship at SUNY Upstate Honors Longtime Dermatology Professor
Upstate News 2003
- Dr. Fuad S. Farah Dermatology is retiring effective January 31, 2014
Department of Medicine Newsletter
- Fuad S. Farah, M.D., F.A.A.D.
Farah Dermatology and Cosmetics
2. Other Resources for Fuad S. Farah MD
- Fuad S. Farah, Milton Kern, Herman N. Eisen.“The Preparation and Some Properties of Purified Antibody Specific for the 2,4-Dinitrophenyl Group” Rockefeller University Press , 1960.
Journal of Experimental Medicine Archive
- Fuad S. Farah, John A. Malak. “Cutaneous Leishmaniasis”Arhcives of Dermatology 1970.
- “Dermatologists Come to Watertown”
Watertown Daily Times 2008
Bibliography - Publications
1. Cotran, R., Abu-Feisal, K., Farah, F.S. and Shwayri, E.L: Viral hepatitis. Review and report of 104 cases of acute enteric hepatitis. Leb. Med. J., -8:57, 1955.
2. Zellweger, H., Farah, F.S. and Acra A.: Secondary renal hyperchloremic acidosis complicated by impairment of other tubular functions. Helvitica Pediah-ica Acta, 10:324, 1955.
3. Rubeiz, G. and Farah, F.S.: Pheochromocytoma. Diagnosis and treatment illustrated by a case report. Leb. Med. J., 10:335, 1957.
4. Farah, F.S., Kern, M. and Eisen, H.N.: The preparation and some properties of purified antibody specific for the 2,4-dinitrophenyl group. J. Expt. Med., 112:1195, 1960.
5. Farah, F.S., Kern, M. and Eisen, H.N.: Specific inhibition of wheal-and-erythema responses with univalent haptens and univalent antibody fragments. J. Expt. Med., 112:1211, 1960.
6. Farah, F.S., Kurban, A.K., Chaglassian, H.T. and Alami, S.: Survey of the pathogenic dermatophytes in Lebanon. Leb. Med. J., 15:75, 1962.
7. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S., Issa, P. and Abu Hayder N.: Acute irradiation effects on the alkaline phosphatase activity in the guinea pig sebaceous gland. J. Invest. Derm., 39:3, 1962.
8. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S. and Chaglassian, H.T.: Acute effects of x-irradiation on the skin. Proc. XII Internat. Congress of Denn. 1962.
9. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S. and Chaglassian H.T.: Alopecia mucinosa. A histochernical study. Dermatologica, 124:393, 1962.
10. Chaglassian, H.T., Farah, F.S. and Kurban, A.K.: Epidemiology of skin diseases in the Middle East. Proc. XII Internat. Congress of Denn. 1962.
11. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S. and Chaglassian, H.T.: The evaluation of palmar biopsies in the diagnosis of connective tissue disorders. Leb. Med. J., 16:175, 1963.
12. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S. and Chaglassian, H.T.: Capillary changes in some connective tissue disorders. Dematologica, 129:257, 1964.
13. Farah, F.S., Kurban, A.K. and Chaglassian, H.T.: The effects of heat on antibody activity. J. Immunol., 93:300, 1964.14.
14. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S. and Chaglassian, H.T.: Cuaraneous leishmaniasis. An analysis of the various therapeutic modalities used. Leb. Med. J., 18:381, 1965.
15. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S., Chagalssian, H.T. and Malak, J.A.: Superficial fungus infections in Lebanon. Gazetta Sanitaria, 15:49, 1966.
16. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F'.5., Malak, J.A., Habal, M. and Tabet E.: Multiple idiopathic Hemorrhagic sarcoma, (Kaposi's sarcoma). Leb. Med. J., 18:487, 1965.
17. Malak, J.A., Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S. and Chaglassian, H.T.: Amyloidosis of the skin. Leb Med. J., 19:43, 1966.
18. Kurban, A.K., Malak, J.A., Farah, F.S. and Chaglassian, H.T.: Histopathology of cutaneous leishmaniasis. Arch. Denn., 93:396, 1966.
19. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S., Malak, J.A., Shehadeh, N.H. and Chaglassian, H.T.: Clinical evaluation of tolnaftate. A double blind study of a topical antifungal agent. Dermatologica., 133:482, 1966.
20. Farah, F.S. and Kurban A.K.: Electrophoretic pattern of heat induced antibody protein complexes. Immunology., 11:507, 1966.
21. Farah, F.S., Kurban, A.K., Malak, J.A. and Shehadeh, N.H.: The treatment of pyodermas with gentamicin. Brir. J. Derm., 79:85, 1967.
22. Farah, F.S., Kurban, A_.K. and Chaglassian, H.T.: The treatment of vitiligo with oral psoralen and triamcinolone. Brit. J. Den-n., 79:89, 1967.
23. Kurban, A.K. and Farah, F.S.: Cutaneous Ieislmlaniasis. Med. Dig. (Bombay), 34:113, 1965. (by invitation).
24. Fuleihan, F.J.D., Kurban, A.K., Abu-Feisal, K. and Farah, F.S.: Clinical features of sarcoidosis in Lebanon. Acta Dern1. Venereol, 47:309, 1967.
25. Najjar, S.S., Farah, F.S., Kurban, A.K., Melhem, R.E. and Khatchadurian, A.: Tumoral calcinosis and pseudoxanthoma elasticum. J. Pediatrics., 72:243, 1968.
26. Farah, F.S. and Kurban, A.K.: Antigen antibody complexes and the weal and erythema skin responses. Immunology., 14:569, 1968.
27. Fuleihan, F.J.D., Kurban, A.K., Abboud, R.L, Beidas-Joubran, N. and Farah, F.S.: An objective evaluation of treatment of systemic scleroderma with sodium EDTA, pyridoxine and reserpine. Brit. J. Denn., 80:184, 1968.
28. Chaglassian, H.T., Farah, F.S. and Kurban, AX: Leishmanid. Dermatologica Internationalis., 6:161, 1967.
29. Kurban, A.K., Farah, F.S. and Chaglassian, H.T.: The treatment of leislnnaniasis., Dermatologica Intennationalis., #:168, 1967.
30. Dajani, A.S., Farah. F.S. and Kurban, A.K.: Etiology of superficial pyodermas in the Middle East. Proc. XIII International Congress of Denn. 1176, 1967.
31. Afifi, A.K., Farah, F.S., Kurban, A.K. and Sabra, F.: The incidence of carcinomatous neuromyopathy in skin cancer. Preliminary observations. Proc. XIII International Congress of Derm., 1967.
32. Farah, F.S. and Kurban, A.K.: The immunochemical basis of the urticarial reaction. Proc. XI 11 International Congress of Derm., 1176, 1967.
33. Kurban, A.K. and Farah, F.S.: Acute effects of irradiation of the skin. A histochemical and chemical study. Proc. XIII International Congress of Derm. 1090, 1967.
34. Kvrban, A.K. and Farah, F.S.: The effects of x-irradiation on the skin. Histocbemistry of the acute changes in the epithelial structures. Acta Den-n. Venereol., 49:64, 1967.
35. Dajani, A.S., Farah, F.S. and Kurban, A.K.: Bacterial etiology of superficial pyodenna in Lebanon. J. Pediatrics., 73:431, 1968.
36. Kurban, A.K., Malak, J.A., Farah, F.S., Siage, J. and Jallad, M.: Treatment of cutaneous leishmaniasis (oriental sore) with a new repository antimalarial. J. Trop. Med. and Hyg., 72:86 1969.
37. Farah, F.S., Kurban, A.K. and Juljulian. H.: Atopy and atopic dennatitis. Pakistan Med. Rev., 4:13, 1969, (by invitation).
38. Farah, F.S. and Malak, J.A.: Cutaneous leishmaniasis. Arch. Derm., 103:467, 1971, (by invitation).
39. Malak, J.A., and Farah, F.S.: Blastomycosis in the Middle East. Report of a suspected case of North American blastomycosis. Brit. J. Derm., 84:161, 1971.
40. Farah, F.S. and Shbaklu, S.: The treatment of premalignant and malignant skin lesions with 5-fluoro-uracil. Leb. Med. J., 24:45, 1971.
41. Kaid-bey K., Farah, F.S. and Matta, N.: Infundibule-folliculitis. Dermatologica., 143:29, 1971.
42. Kaid-bey, K. and Farah, F.S.: Verruca vulgaris associated with changes of Damier's disease. Dermatologica, 143:148, 1971.
43. Farah, F.S.: "Drugs" and society. Al-Kulliyah., spring 19-21, 1971.
44. Farah F.S., and Shbaklu, A.: Autoimmune progesterone mticaria. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol., 48:257,1971.
45. Farah, F.S. and Awdeh, Z.: Purification of anti-dinitrophenyl antibodies and their fractionation according to affinity. J. Immunol. Meth., -1:353, 1972.
46. Matta, M. and Farah, F.S.: North American blastomycosis. Report of a case encountered in Lebanon and probably originating in Gambia. Dermatologica, 146:346, 1973.
47. Farah, F.S.: Natural antibodies specific for the 2,4-dinitrophenyl group. Immunol., 25:217, 1973.
48. Salem, G.H., Najjar, S.S., Zeinoun, S.T. and Farah, F.S.: Lipodystrophy, Leb. Med. J., 26:259, 1973.
49. Farah, F.S., Matta, M., Zeinoun, S.T., Shehadeh, S.: Squamous cell carcinoma and keratoacanthoma in discoid lupus erythematosus. Dermatologica, 148:357, 1974.
50. Farah, F.S.: Some factors influencing allergy in Lebanon. Leb. Med. J., 27:673, 1974.
51. Farah, F.S., Abu-Samra, S. and Nuwayri-Salti: The role of the macrophage in cutaneous leishmaniasis. Immunology, 29:755, 1975.
52. Farah, F.S., Lazary, S. and De Week, A.L.: The effect of leishmania tropica on the stimulation of lymphocytes with phytohemagglutinin. Immunology, 30:629, 1976.
53. Harik, S.L, Ghandour, M.H., Farah, F.S. and Afifi, A.K.: Postganglionic cholinergic dysautonomia. Ann. Neurol. 1:393, 1977.
54. Farah, F.S.: Behcet's syndrome. Dennatolo,gy in General Medicine, (2nd Ed.) Edited by Fitzpatrick, T.B., Eisen, A.Z., Wolff, K., Freedberg, I.M. and Ausrenk, F., McGraw-Hill Inc., 1979, Chapter 96, p. 907-909.
55. Farah, F.S.: Protozoal and helminth infections. Dermatology in General Medicine. Edited by Fitzpatrick, T.B., Eisen, A.Z., Wolff, K., Freedberg, LM., and Austen, F., McGraw-Hill Inc., 2nd Ed., 1979, Chapter 167, p. 1638-1656.
56. Geha, R.S., Hyslop, N., Alami, S., Farah, F.S., Schneeberger, E.E., and Rosen, F.S.: Hyperimmunoglobulin M immunodeficiency (dysgammaglobulinemia). J. Clin. Invest., 64:385-391, 1979.
57. Farah, F.S.: "Leishmaniasis" in Clinical Dermatology. Editors: Demis, D.J., Dobson, R.L. and McGuire, J. Harper and Row, 1978., Vol. 4 Section 18-2, p. 1-21.
58. Farah, F.S.: Cutaneous leishmaniasis (Oriental Sore). In: Current Ocular Therapy. Editors - F.T. Fraunfeider and F. Hampton-Roy, W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1980 (P. 82-83).
Revised - 1985 (p. 68-69).
Revised - 1995 (p. 120-121).
59. Farah, F.S.: Cutaneous amebiasis. In: Current Therapy in Dennatology. Ed. S. Moddin, W.B. Saunders, 1982, p. 27-28.
60. Farah, F.S.: Basic aspects of immunology. In: Principles and Practice of Obstetrics and Perinatology. Ed. L. Liffy and H.A. Kaminetzky, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., NY, 1981, p. 91-99.
61. Farah, F.S.: In: Clinical Dermatology. Ed. D.J. Dennis and J. McGuire, Harper & Row, 1984, Vol. 4.
a. Parasitic Diseases Section 18-1, p. 1-2.
b. Leishmaniasis 18-2, p. 1-21.
c. Amebiasis 18-7, p. 1.
d. Trypanosomiasis18-8, p. 1-3.
e. Trichinosis (with Dr. M. Little) 18-11, p. 1-3.
f. Enterobiasis 18-12, p. 1-2.
g. Ascariasis 18-13, p. 1-2.
h. Strongyloidiasis (with Dr. M. Little) 18-14, p. 1-3.
i. Hookworm Infection (with Dr. M. Little) 18-15, p. 1-3
j. Larva Migrans (with Dr. M. Little) 18-16, p. 1-10
k. Filariasis (with Dr. M. Little) 18-17, p. 1-9
l. Dracunculiasis (with Dr. M. Little) 18-18, p. 1-2
m.Cestodiasis (with Dr. M. Little) 18-19, p. 1-2
u. Schistosomiasis 18-20, p. 1-2
62. Farah, F.S., et al: Protozoan and helminth infection. In: Fitzpatrick T.B. et al, Dermatology in General Medicine. McGraw Hill, Inc., 4th Ed., 1993, Chapter 225, p. 2669-2787.
63. Farah, F.S.: Common parasitic disease. Hospital Medicine, Feb. 1991.
64. Farah, F.S.: Parasitic Disease of the Skin - Gonn's Current Therapy. 1996, p. 786-78 9 (W.B. Saunders).
65. Farah, F.S.:In: Essence of Office Pediatrics. James Stockman III, M.D. and Jacob Lohr, M.D., W.B. Saunders Company, 2001.
a. Ancylostomaiasis and Strongyloidsiasis p. 17
b. Ascariasis and Enterobiasis p. 25
c. Filariasis: Onchocerciasis, Loiasis, Lymphatic Filariasis p. 142
d. Roundworm Infestations p. 349
e. Streptocerciasis, Cutaneous Larva Migrans, Visceral Larva Migrans p. 392
f. Trichinosis, Gnathostomiasis, Angiostrongyliasis, Dracunculosis p. 434
Bibliography - Letters to the Editor
1. Farah, F.S. and Malak, J.A.: Late cutaneous leishmaniasis. Arch. Derm., 100:773, 1969.
2. Pinals, R.S., Tomar, R.H., Haas, D.C., and Farah, F.S.: Graves disease, myasthenia gravis and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Ann. Intern. Med. 87:250, 1977.
Bibliography - Abstracts
1. Farah, F.S., Kern, M. and Eisen H.N., Purification of anti-2,4-dinirrophenyl antibody Fed. Proc. 18:565, (1959).
2. Farah, F.S., KLtrban, A.K. and Chaglassian, H.T., Antibody and valence and its role in the precipitin and the wheal-and-erythema reactions. Minerva Dennatologica 39:suppl. 60., (1964).
3. Kurban A.K., Farah, F.S., and Chaglassian, H.T., The treatment of leishmaniasis. Minerva Dermatologica 39:(suppl.) 3., (1964).
4. Chaglassian, H.T., Farah. F.S. and Kurban, A.K., Leishmanid. Minerva Dermatologica 39:(suppl.) 2., (1964).
5. Afifi, A.K., Farah, F.S., Kurban, A.K. and Sabra, F., The incidence of carcinomatous neuromyopathy in skin cancer Preliminary observations Suppl. of Zentralblatt fur Haut and Geschlechtskrankheiten sowie deren Grenzebeite 111967.
6. Dajani, A.S., Farah, F.S., and Kurban, A.K., The bacterial etiology of superficial pyoderma in the Middle East. Supple. of Zentralblatt fur Haut and Geschlechtskrankheiten sowie der en Grenzgebeite II 1967.
7. Kurban, A.K. and Fara11, F.S., Acute effects of irradiation on the skin. Histological and biochemical study. Suppl. of Zentralblatt fur Haut and Geschlechtakrankheiren sowie deren Grenzgebeite 1967 94.
8. Farah, F.S., and Kurban, A.K., The immunochemical basis of the urticarial reaction Suppl. Zentralblatt fur Haut and Geschelechtkrankheiten sowie deren Grenzegebeite 102, 1967.
9. Kaid-bey, K., and Farah, F.S., Adrenal Suppression by intralesional steroids 1 st Science Meeting of the Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science November 7, 1969. p. 30.
10. Shabaklu, Z. and Farah, F.S., The treatment of cutaneous malignant and premalignant lesions with topical 5- fluorouracil lst Science Meeting of the Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science November 7, 1969, p. 37.
11. Farah, F.S., and Awdeh, Z., Antibody purification and its partioning according to affinity 2nd Science Meeting of the Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science, November 14, 1970, p. 111.
12. Zaynoun, S.L, Salti, LS., Malak, J.A. and Farah, F.S., The effect of intracutaneous glucocorticoids on plasma cortisol levels 4th Science Meeting of the Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science December 14, 1972, p. 194.
13. Farah, F.S., Lazary, S. and De Week, A.L., Some immunological and nonimmunological aspects of leislunanial infections Europe. Immunology Meeting September 17-19, 1975 Amsterdam, Holland.
14. Farah, F.S.: Studies of host-parasite interaction at the plasma membrane level, using leishmania infections as a model. Meeting of Society for Investigative Dermatology April 16, 1978 Washington D.C.
- Last Updated: Nov 14, 2022 9:54 AM
- URL: https://guides.upstate.edu/diversity-in-medicine
- Print Page