Women in Medicine and Science at Upstate
Leslie J. Kohman MD FACS
Leslie J. Kohman completed her MD at the Pennsylvania State College of Medicine (Hershey) in 1976. She completed an internship and residency in general surgery at Robert Packer Hospital’s Guthrie Clinic from 1976-1981 and came to Upstate in 1983 as a Thoracic Surgery Resident. Upon completion of her residency, she joined the faculty of the Department of Surgery in 1985. She was made full professor in 1995.
Dr. Kohman is a thoracic surgeon specializing in thoracic oncology; she is also Board-certified in Hospice and Palliative Medicine. She was made director of Thoracic Oncology at University Hospital in 1999. She served as medical director of the Upstate Cancer Center from 2010-2015 and became director of Outreach for the Center in 2016. Dr. Kohman has held many other administrative positions at Upstate including: interim chair of Surgery (2001-2002, 2009); vice chair for Academic Affairs for the Department of Surgery (2002-2009); director of the Thoracic Surgery Residency Program (2003-2007); assistant dean for Faculty Development (2006-2007); and quality officer for the Department of Surgery (2012-present). Since 2015 she has served as director of Outreach for the Upstate Cancer Center, and since 2017, medical director of Ambulatory Palliative Care at the Center.
Dr. Kohman has been active in lung cancer screening research and program development since 1999 and was appointed to the New York State Cancer Detection and Education Program Advisory Council in 2016. She works closely with the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer and with the American Cancer Society to develop cancer control initiatives. Dr. Kohman serves on the Board of Directors of the Eastern Division Board of the American Cancer Society and was Medical Officer for the Division from 2014-2016.
Dr. Kohman has published many articles and is the recipient of numerous awards. She was listed in the 1999, 2004 and 2013 editions of “The Best Doctors in America”. She was awarded the St. George National Award for the Eastern Division by the American Cancer Society in 2015 for her outstanding leadership and significant contributions to furthering the goals of the Society. She received the 2002 President’s Award for Faculty Service and the 2003 SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Professional Service. Dr. Kohman was named a SUNY Distinguished Service Professor in 2005.
Dr. Kohman rose to the top of a field that is still dominated by men. Of the more than 7,000 thoracic surgeons in the United States in 2005, she was one of only 140 female Board-certified thoracic surgeons. She founded the Women in Cardiothoracic Surgery (now Women in Thoracic Surgery) group in 1987, which is dedicated to supporting the careers of women entering the field. She was honored with the Nina Starr Braunwald Award in recognition of her work to advance women in surgery by the Association of Women Surgeons in 1997.
Resources on Leslie J. Kohman MD FACS
1. Biographical Information on Leslie J. Kohman MD FACS
- Women in Thoracic Surgery: A Tradition of Mentorship page 6 Women in Thoracic Surgery – Oracle Winter, 2007
2. HealthLink on Air - WRVO (BPR) Interviews with Leslie J. Kohman MD FACS
Upstate earns listing with Lung Cancer Alliance for experience in lung cancer screening November 14, 2013
Cancer Center medical director reflects on decades of advances in cancer prevention, treatments February 26, 2015
Expert advice: free kits make testing for colorectal cancer convenient
Tobacco, inhaled as smoke or vapor, remains major health threat January 19, 2017
A team approach to treating melanoma: how cancer death rates have changed March 12, 2017
3. Other Resouces on Women in Thoracic Surgery
Bibliography - Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
*indicates student or resident author
- Kohman LJ, Meyer JA, Ikins PM, Oates RP. Random versus predictable risks of mortality after thoracotomy for lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1986;91:551-554.
- Stammers AH, Marvasti MA, Veit LJ, Kohman LJ. Age related differences to oxygen free radical injury during myocardial ischemia. J Extra-Corpor Tech 1987;19:245-257.
- Bove EL, Kohman LJ, Byrum CJ, Kavey RE, Blackman M, Sereika S, Sondheimer H. The Modified Blalock-Taussig Shunt: Analysis of adequacy and duration of palliation. Circulation 1987;76(suppl III):III-19-23.
- Randall P, Kohman LJ, Szeverenyi N, Scalzetti E, Panicek D. MRI of prosthetic cardiac valves: In vitro and in vivo. Am J Cardiol 1988;62:973-976.
- Kohman LJ, Coleman MJ, Parker FB, Jr. Bacteremia and sternal infection after coronary artery bypass surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 1990;49:454-7.
- Kohman LJ, Hoefer JM. Formation and function of women's groups within specialty societies. JAMWA 1991;46:91-94.
- Kohman LJ, Auchincloss JH, Gilbert R, Beshara M. Functional results of muscle flap closure for sternal infection. Ann Thorac Surg 1991;52:102-6.
- Kohman LJ, Veit LJ. Neonatal myocardium resists reperfusion injury. J Surg Res 1991;51:133-7.
- Randall PA, Trasolini NC, Kohman LJ et al. MR Imaging in the evaluation of the chest after uncomplicated median sternotomy. RadioGraphics 1993;13:329-40.
- Kohman LJ. Approach to the diagnosis and staging of mediastinal masses. Chest 1993;103:328S-30S.
- *Uppal MS, Kohman LJ, Katzenstein A-L. Mycetoma within an intralobar sequestration: evidence supporting an acquired origin for this pulmonary anomaly. Chest 1993;103:1627-8.
- *Feldbaum D, Kohman LJ, Veit LJ. Recovery of the hypoxemic neonatal heart following cardioplegic arrest. Cardiovasc Res 1993;27:1123-6.
- Kohman LJ, Brandt B III, Kavey R-E, Henneberger PK, Veit LJ. Effect of prolonged postischemic perfusion on neonatal hearts. J Surg Res 1993;55:499-503.
- Jenkins R, Kohman LJ, Veit LJ. The relationship of iron and glycogen to the in vitro, ultraweak chemiluminescent analysis of lipid peroxidation in rabbit hearts of varying ages. Free Rad Biol & Med 1994;16:627-31.
- Graziano SL, Tatum AH, Newman NB, Oler A, Kohman LJ, Veit LJ, Gamble GP, Coleman MJ, Barmada S, O'Lear S. The prognostic significance of neuroendocrine markers and CEA in patients with resected stage I and II non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Research 1994;54:2908-13.
- Kohman LJ, Veit LJ. Single vs multidose cardioplegia in neonatal hearts. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1994;107:1512-8.
- *Bitar F, Feldbaum DM, Litovsky S, Kohman LJ, Veit LJ. Effect of early versus delayed hypoxic environment on neonatal rabbits. J Surg Res 1994;57:264-7.
- *Hatter J, Kohman LJ, Mosca RS, Graziano SL, Veit LJ, Coleman M. Preoperative evaluation of Stage I and Stage II non-small cell lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 1994;58:1738-41.
- Kohman LJ. Thoracoscopy for the evaluation and treatment of pleural space disease. Chest Surgery Clinics of North America, 1994, 4:467-79.
- *Katz DS, Scalzetti EM, Groskin SA, Kohman LJ, Landas SK. Pleuropulmonary blastoma simulating an empyema in a young child. J Thorac Imaging 1995;10:112-6.
- Sugarbaker DJ, Herndon J, Kohman LJ et al. Results of Cancer and Leukemia Group B Protocol 8935. A multiinstitutional phase II trimodality trial for stage IIIA (N2) non-small-cell lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1995;109:473-85.
- Katz DS, Scalzetti EM, Katzenstein A-LA, Kohman LJ. Pulmonary veno-occlusive disease presenting with thrombosis of pulmonary arteries. Thorax 1995;50:699-700.
- Friedman HD, Powers CN, Hutchison RE, Kohman LJ. Thymoma mimicking lymphoblastic lymphoma: a pitfall in fine needle aspiration biopsy interpretation. Diagn Cytopathol 1996;14:165-71.
- Kumar P, Herndon J II, Langer M, Kohman LJ, Elias AD, Kass FC, Eaton WL; Seagren SL, Green MR, Sugarbaker DJ. Patterns of disease failure after trimodality therapy of non-small cell lung carcinoma pathologic stage IIIA (N2). Analysis of Cancer and Leukemia Group B Protocol 8935. Cancer 1996;77:2393-9.
- Monahan DJ, Kohman LJ, Coleman M. Open-heart surgery: consequences for caregivers. J Gerontological Social Work 1996;25:53-70.
- Graziano SL, Tatum A, Gonchoroff N, Newman N, Kohman L. Blood-group antigen A and flow cytometric analysis in resected early stage non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 1997;3:87-93.
- Kohman L. Controversies in the management of malignant thymoma. Chest 1997;112:296S-300S.
- Kohman LJ. Is there a place for surgery in central small cell lung cancer? Chest Surgery Clinics of North America 1997; 7:105-112
- Mehdi SA, Etzell JE, Newman NB, Weidner N, Kohman LJ, Graziano SL. Prognostic significance of KI-67 immunostaining and symptoms in resected Stage I and II non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 1998; 20:99-108.
- Demmy TL, Krasna MJ, Detterbeck FC, Kline GG, Kohman LJ, DeCamp MM, Wain JC. Multicenter VATS experience with mediastinal tumors. Ann Thorac Surg 1998;66:187-92.
- Mehdi SA, Tatum AH, Newman NB, Imperato A, Daucher J, Kohman LJ, Graziano SL. Prognostic significance of Lewis y antigen in resected Stage I and II non-small cell lung cancer. Chest 1998;114:1309-15.
- Graziano SL, Gamble GP, Newman NB, Abbott LZ, Rooney M, Mookherjee S, Lamb ML, Kohman LJ, Poiesz BJ. Prognostic significance of K-ras codon 12 mutations in patients with resected Stage I and II non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Onc 1999;17:668-75.
- Krasna MJ, Reed CE, Nugent WC, Olak J, Sugarbaker DJ, Green MR, Kohman LJ, for the Thoracic Surgeons of CALGB. Lung cancer staging and treatment in multidisciplinary trials: Cancer and Leukemia Group B Cooperative Group approach. Ann Thorac Surg 1999;68:201-7
- Mehdi SA, Tatum AH, Newman NB, Gamble GP, Etzell JE, Weidner N, Kern JA, Sorscher SM, Kohman LJ, Graziano SL. Prognostic markers in resected Stage I and II non-small cell lung cancer: an analysis of 260 patients with 5 year follow-up. Clinical Lung Cancer 1999;1:59-67
- Kohman, L. Surgery for small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res Therapy Control 2000;10:235-
- Schiller JH, Adak S, Feins, RH, Keller SM, Fry WA, Livingston RB, Hammond ME, Wolf B, Sabatini L, Jett J, Kohman L, Johnson DH. Lack of prognostic significance of p53 and K-ras mutations in primary resected non-small cell lung cancer on E4592: a laboratory ancillary study on an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group prospective randomized trial of postoperative adjuvant therapy. J Clin Oncol, 2001;19:448-57.
- Yang YJ, Steele CT, Ou XL, Snyder KP, Kohman LJ. Diagnosis of high-grade pulmonary neuroendocrine carcinoma by fine-needle aspiration biopsy: nonsmall cell or small-cell type? Diagn cytopathol 2001;25:292-300.
- D’Cunha J, Corfits AL, Herndon JE 2nd, Kern JA, Kohman LJ, Patterson GA, Kratzke RA, Maddaus MA. Molecular staging of lung cancer: Real-time polymerase chain reaction estimation of lymph node micrometastatic tumor cell burden in stage I non-small cell lung cancer---preliminary results of cancer and leukemia group B trial 9761. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2002,123:484-91.
- Gajra A, Newman N, Gamble G, Kohman L, Graziano S. Effect of number of lymph nodes sampled on outcome in patients with Stage I non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:1029-34
- Detterbeck FC, DeCamp MM Jr, Kohman LK, Silvestri GA, American College of Chest Physicians. Lung Cancer. Invasive staging: the guidelines. Chest 2003; 123 (1 suppl);167S-175S.
- Gajra A, Newman N, Gamble GP, Abraham NZ, Kohman LJ, Graziano SL. Impact of tumor size on survival in stage IA non-small cell lung cancer: a case for subdividing stage IA disease. Lung Cancer 2003, 42:51-57.
- Dexter EU. *Jahangir N. Kohman LJ. Resection for lung cancer in the elderly patient. Thorac Surg Clin 2004;14:163-171,
- Shennib H, Bogart J, Herndon J, Kohman L, Keenan R, Green M, Sugarbaker D. Video assisted wedge resection and local radiotherapy for peripheral lung cancer in high risk patients. CALGB 9335, A Phase II study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2005;129:813-8
- Dresler CM, Olak J, Herndon JE II, Richards WG, Scalzetti EM, Fleishman SB, Kernstein K, Demmy T, Jablons D, Kohman LJ, et al. Phase III Intergroup study of talc poudrage versus talc slurry sclerosis for malignant pleural effusion. Chest 2005; 127(3):909-15
- D'Cunha J. Herndon JE 2nd. Herzan DL. Patterson GA. Kohman LJ. Harpole DH. Kernstine KH. Kern JA. Green MR. Maddaus MA. Kratzke RA. Cancer and Leukemia Group B. Poor correspondence between clinical and pathologic staging in stage 1 non-small cell lung cancer: results from CALGB 9761, a prospective trial. Lung Cancer 2005; 48:241-6
- Henschke C on behalf of I-ELCAP Investigators. CT Screening for lung cancer: Update 2005. Surg Onc Clinics North America 2005:14:761-776.
- Kohman, LJ. Cancer and Leukemia Group B Surgery Committee. Clin Cancer Res 2006;12: 3622s-3627s
- International Early Lung Cancer Action Program Investigators. CT Screening for Lung Cancer: The relationship of disease stage to tumor size. Arch Int Med 2006;166:321-25.
- International Early Lung Cancer Action Program Investigators. Women’s susceptibility to tobacco carcinogens: an update. JAMA 2006;296:180-4.
- International Early Lung Cancer Action Program Investigators. Survival of patients with Stage I lung cancer detected on CT screening. NEJM 2006;355:1763-71
- Perry MC, Kohman LJ, Bonner JA et al. A Phase III study of surgical resection and paclitaxel/carboplatin chemotherapy, with or without adjuvant radiation therapy, for resected stage III non-small cell lung cancer: Cancer and Leukemia Group B 9734. Clinical Lung Cancer 2007;8:268-72
- Loewen GM, Watson D, Kohman LJ et al. Preoperative Exercise VO2 measurement for Lung Resection Candidates: Results of Cancer and Leukemia Group B Protocol 9238. J Thorac Oncol. 2007;2:619-25
- *Hsie M, Morbidini-Gaffney S, Kohman LJ et al. Definitive treatment of poor-risk patients with Stage I lung cancer: A single institution experience. J Thorac Oncol 2009;4:69-73
- Liptay MJ. D'amico TA. Nwogu C. Demmy TL. Wang XF. Gu L. Litle VR. Swanson SJ. Kohman LJ. Thoracic Surgery Subcommittee of the Cancer and Leukemia Group B. Intraoperative sentinel node mapping with technitium-99 in lung cancer: results of CALGB 140203 multicenter phase II trial. J Thorac Oncol 2009;4:198-202
- *Bhamidipati, C M. Kohman, L J. Is transcatheter rescue management of a pulmonary artery bronchial fistula justified? Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgeon 2010;58:229-31
- Jones LW. Watson D. Herndon JE 2nd. Eves ND. Haithcock BE. Loewen G. Kohman L. Peak oxygen consumption and long-term all-cause mortality in nonsmall cell lung cancer. Cancer 2010;116:4825-32
- Sade RM; American Association for Thoracic Surgery Ethics Committee; Society of Thoracic Surgeons Standards and Ethics Committee. Standards for relations of cardiothoracic surgical organizations with industry.Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Jul;92(1):3-8.
- Demmy T, Gu L, Burkhalter J, Toloza E, D’Amico T, Sutherland S, Wang X, Archer L, Veit L, Kohman L. In-Dwelling Catheters are superior to talc pleurodesis in the management of malignant pleural effusions (Results of CALGB 30102). JNCCN 2012;10:975-982.
- Henschke CI, Yankelevitz DF, Yip R, Reeves AP, Farooqi A, Xu D, Smith JP, Libby DM, Pasmantier MW, Miettinen OS, Writing Committee for the I-ELCAP Investigators. Lung cancers diagnosed at annual CT screening: volume doubling times. Radiology. 2012 May;263(2):578-83. Erratum in: Radiology. 2012 Jul;264(1):306
- Hunt K, Kohman L, Nelson H. Announcing the surgical standards manual project: a call for volunteers. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2012 97:67-8.
- Boylan AM, Wang XF, Ko R, Watson PM, Gu L, Harpole D, Bueno R, Kelly R, Kohman L, Kratzke R. Detection of human telomerase reverse transcriptase mRNA in cells obtained by lavage of the pleura is not associated with worse outcome in patients with stage I/II non-small cell lung cancer: Results from Cancer and Leukemia Group B 159902. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013 Jul;146(1):206-11.
- Jaklitsch MT, Gu L, Demmy T, Harpole DH, D’Amico TA, McKenna RJ, Krasna MJ, Kohman LJ, Swanson SJ, DeCamp MM, Wang X, Barry S, Sugarbaker DJ and the CALGB Thoracic Surgeons. Prospective phase II trial of preresection thoracoscopic mediastinal restagning after neoadjuvant therapy for IIIA (N2) non-small cell lung cancer: Results of CALGB Protocol 39803. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013;146:9-16.
- Roman MA, Koelwyn GJ, Eves ND, Horsby WE, Watson D, Herndon JE II, Kohman L, Loewen G, Jones LW. Comparison of Performance Status to Peak Oxygen Consumption in Operable Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Respirology. Respirology. 2014 Jan;19(1):105-8.
- Flores R, Bauer T, Aye R, Andaz S, Kohman L, Sheppard B, Mayfield W, Thurer R, Smith M, Korst R, Straznicka M, Grannis F, Pass H, Connery C, Yip R, Smith JP, Yankelevitz D, Henschke C, Altorki N; I-ELCAP Investigators. Balancing curability and unnecessary surgery in the context of computed tomography screening for lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; Dec 9. pii: S0022-5223(13)01292-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2013.11.001. [Epub ahead of print]
- Altorki NK, Yip R, Hanaoka T, Bauer T, Aye R, Kohman L, Sheppard B, Thurer R, Andaz S, Smith M, Mayfield W, Grannis F, Korst R, Pass H, Straznicka M, Flores R, Henschke CI; I-ELCAP Investigators. Sublobar resection is equivalent to lobectomy for clinical stage 1A lung cancer in solid nodules. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;147:754-64.
- Xu DM, Yip R, Smith JP, Yankelevitz DF, Henschke CI; I-ELCAP Investigators.
Retrospective review of lung cancers diagnosed in annual rounds of CT screening.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014 Nov;203(5):965-72. doi: 10.2214/AJR.13.12115. Epub 2014 Sep 23. Review.
- Yip R, Henschke CI, Yankelevitz DF, Boffetta P, Smith JP; International Early Lung Cancer Investigators.The impact of the regimen of screening on lung cancer cure: a comparison of I-ELCAP and NLST.Eur J Cancer Prev. 2015 May;24(3):201-8. doi: 10.1097/CEJ.0000000000000065.
- Altorki N, Kohman LJ, Veit LJ, You N, Boughey JC. Limited resection as a cure for early lung cancer: Time to challenge the gold standard? 2015, Bull Amer Coll Surgeons 100:57-58.
- Henschke CI, Yip R, Boffetta P, Markowitz S, Miller A, Hanaoka T, Wu N, Zulueta JJ, Yankelevitz DF; I-ELCAP Investigators. CT screening for lung cancer: Importance of emphysema for never smokers and smokers. Lung Cancer. 2015 Apr;88(1):42-7. doi: 10.1016/j.lungcan.2015.01.014. Epub 2015 Feb 4.
- Nwogu CE, D’Cunha, J,Pang, H, Gu,l, Wang, X, Richards, WG, Veit, LJ.Demmy, TL, Sugarbaker, DJ, Kohman, LJ, Swanson, SJ; VATS Lobectomy Has Better Perioperative Outcomes Than Open Lobectomy: CALGB 31001, an Ancillary Analysis of CALGB 140202 (Alliance). Ann Thorac Surg 2015;(2):399-405.
- Yankelevitz DF, Yip R, Smith JP, Liang M, Liu Y, Xu DM, Salvatore MM, Wolf AS, Flores RM, Henschke CI; International Early Lung Cancer Action Program Investigators Group. CT Screening for Lung Cancer: Nonsolid Nodules in Baseline and Annual Repeat Rounds. Radiology. 2015 Nov;277(2):555-64. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2015142554. Epub 2015 Jun 23.
- Martin LW, D'Cunha J, Wang X, Herzan D, Gu L, Abraham N, Demmy TL, Detterbeck FC, Groth SS, Harpole DH, Krasna MJ, Kernstine K, Kohman LJ, Patterson GA, Sugarbaker DJ, Vollmer RT, Maddaus MA, Kratzke RA. Detection of Occult Micrometastases in Patients with Clinical Stage I Non Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Prospective Analysis Mature Results of CALGB 9761 (Alliance), coauthor, J Clin Oncol. 2016 May 1;34(13):1484-91. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2015.63.4543. Epub 2016 Feb
- Sade RM; collaborators Canver C, D'Amico T, Ellis J, Fenton K, Freeman R, Fullerton D, Harrison L, Jaggers J, Jones J, Kohman L, Mayer J, McKneally M, Merrill W, Millikan S, Mitchell J, Mitchell S, Moffatt-Bruce S, Sade R, Slaughter M, Starnes S, Trachiotis G, Whyte R, Wood D. Sanctions for Research Misconduct in Cardiothoracic Surgery Journals. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Sep;102(3):685-7.
- Kohman LJ, Gu L, Altorki N, Scalzetti E, Wallen J, Veit L, Wang X. Biopsy first: Lessons learned from CALGB 140503. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2017 Feb 7. pii: S0022-5223(17)30162-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2016.12.045. [Epub ahead of print]
Bibliography - Publications in Non-Peer Reviewed Journals
- Kohman LJ. Adrenal apoplexy. Guthrie Bull 1978;47:187.
- Kohman LJ, Thomas JM. Simultaneous vascular and nonvascular intra-abdominal surgery. Guthrie Bull 1979;48:271.
- Kohman LJ, Beck J. Long-term survival of metastatic melanoma in childhood. Guthrie Bull 1980;49:117.
- Kohman LJ, Beck J. Hypersomnia and periodic breathing, Report of a case. Guthrie Bull 1980;50:73.
- Kohman LJ, Svoboda JJ. Splenic abscess following appendicitis. Contemporary Surgery 1981;18:48.
- Kohman LJ. Radial artery aneurysm. Guthrie Bull 1983;53:61.
- Hoefer JM, Kohman LJ. History of the Women's Medical Society of New York State. NYS J Med 1992;92:203-212.
- Kohman LJ, Meyer JA. Foreign bodies in the esophagus and tracheobronchial tree. Surgical Rounds 1992;15:511-6.
- *Mittal SK, Terry S, Kohman L. Multiple stents for the palliation of malignant airway obstruction and tracheoesophageal fistula. Surgical Rounds, June 1999,326-32.
- Hunt K. Kohman L. Nelson H. Announcing the surgical standards manual project: a call for volunteers. Bull Am Coll Surg. 97(9):67-8, 2012 Sep.
Bibliography - Editorials
- Kohman L. What constitutes success in cancer surgery? Measuring the value of specialist care. Chest 1998;114:663-4
- Kohman LJ. “Beat the Clock: Will there be time in the new millennium to train surgeons and care for patients?” 2001; In My Opinion, CTSnet.org, (www.ctsnet.org/doc/5821)
- Marshall, MB, Kohman LJ. Gender and lung transplantation: size matters, does sex? J Thorac Surg 2004:128:352-3.
- Benfield JR, Kohman LK. Mentorship, Women Thoracic Surgeons and the Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education. Ann Thorac Surg 2004;78:1135-6.
Bibliography - Contributions to Text Books
- Kohman LJ, Powers CN. Biological markers (in the mediastinum). In Thoracic and Esophageal Surgery, Pearson FG, Deslauriers J, Ginsberg RJ et al. Churchill Livingston, New York, 1994.
- McGinnis KM, Powers CN, Thomas FD, Kohman LJ. Biological Markers of the Mediastinum. In Pearson FG, Cooper JD, Deslauriers J et al. Thoracic Surgery, Churchill Livingstone, New York 2002.
- Dexter EU, Kohman LJ. Perioperative Care of Patients undergoing Thoracic Surgery. In Sellke FW, del Nido PJ, Swanson SJ. Sabiston and Spencer Surgery of the Chest, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, 2005.
- Bogart JA, Kohman LJ. Lesser resection vs radiotherapy for patients with compromised lung function and Stage I lung cancer. In: Ferguson M (ed). Difficult Decisions in Thoracic Surgery. Springer-Verlag London Limited 2007.
- Kohman LJ, Demmy T. Management of malignant pleural effusion: sclerosis or chronic tube drainage. In: Ferguson M (ed) Difficult Decisions in Thoracic Surgery. Springer-Verlag London Limited 2011.
Bibliography - Abstracts (selected)
- Kohman LJ, Meyer JA. Adenocarcinoma of the lung: A changing relation to smoking history. Chest 1986;89:503S
- Stammers AH, Bove EL, Veit LJ, Marvasti MA, Kohman LJ. Neonatal myocardial function following global ischemia: Effect of oxygenated perfusates. FASEB 1987;46:1118.
- Veit LJ, Kohman LJ. Free radical scavengers and neonatal myocardium. FASEB 1988;II:A919.
- Kohman LJ, LJ Veit. Age differences in myocardial oxygen toxicity. Chest 1988;94:46S.
- Kohman LJ, Veit LJ. Age-related responses to oxygen damage during myocardial ischemia. J Investig Surg 1988;II.
- Veit LJ, Kohman LJ. Free radical scavengers and neonatal myocardium. Physiologist 1988;31:A217.
- Kohman LJ, Veit LJ. A new method for monitoring hemodynamic function of isolated hearts. J Molec Cell Cardiol 1989;21:S62.
- Veit LJ, Kohman LJ. An inexpensive laboratory model for neonatal cyanosis. Physiologist 1990;33;A-92.
- Kohman LJ, Veit LJ. Isolated heart function declines with increasing age. Physiologist 1990;33:A-107.
- Monahan DJ, Kohman LJ, Coleman M, Greene VL. Open Heart Surgery: Consequences for caregivers. American Society on Aging Poster Session, March 1992
- Graziano S, Tatum A, Newman N, Oler A, Kohman L, Gamble G, Veit L, Coleman M, Barmada S, O'Lear S. The prognostic significance of neuroendocrine markers and CEA in patients with resected stages I and II non-small cell lung cancer. Proc AACR 1993;34:191.
- Monahan DJ, Kohman LJ, Coleman M. Social support, coping & stress: consequences for caregivers of spouses undergoing open-heart surgery. The Gerontological Society of America, 1994
- Graziano SL, Tatum AH, Gonchoroff N, Newman N, Kohman L. Analysis of blood group antigen A and flow cytometry in patients with resected Stage I and II non-small cell lung cancer. 7th World Conference on Lung Cancer, Colorado Springs, June 1994.
- Sugarbaker DJ, Herndon JE, Kohman LJ et al. Results of CALGB 8935: A multi-institutional Phase II Tri-modality trial for Stage IIIA (N2) non-small cell lung cancer. AATS, April 28, 1994.
- Kohman LJ, Groskin S. The dilemma of the contralateral pulmonary nodule. Lung Cancer 1994;11(Suppl 1):69
- Graziano S, Tatum A, Gonchoroff N, Newman N, Kohman L. Analysis of blood group antigen A and flow cytometry in patients with resected Stage I and II non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 1994;11(Suppl 1):42
- Kumar P, Sugarbaker D, Herndon II J, Langer M, Elias AD, Kohman L, Jaklitsch M, Kass FC, Eaton WL, Seagren S, Green MR. Efficacy and safety of tri-modality treatment in patients with pathologically staged IIIA(N2) non-small cell lung cancer utilizing consolidative thoracic irradiation: results of Cancer & Leukemia Group B Trial 8935. ASTRO, 1994.
- Kumar P, Sugarbaker D, Herndon II J, Langer M, Elias AD, Kohman L, Jaklitsch M, Kass FC, Eaton WL, Seagren S, Green MR. Patterns of relapse following tri-modality treatment in patients with pathologically staged IIIA (N2) non-small cell lung cancer(NSCLC): Analysis of Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) Protocol 8935. American Radium Society, May 3, 1995.
- Kohman L. How shall we measure the value of post-surgical follow-up? Accepted for oral presentation at the 8th World Congress on Lung Cancer, Dublin, Ireland, August 10-15, 1997.
- Graziano S, Poiesz B, Rooney M, Kohman L, Newman N, Abbott L, Gamble G. Prognostic significance of K-Ras Codon 12 mutations and P53 expression in patients with resected Stage I and II non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Chest 1997;112:296s-300s. (Accepted for oral presentation at the 8th World Congress on Lung Cancer, Dublin, Ireland, August 10-15, 1997).
- Demmy TL, Krasna M, Kohman LJ, Detterbeck F, Kline, DeCamp M. Multicenter VATS experience with mediastinal tumors. Accepted for presentation, Southern Thoracic Surgical Association, Naples, FLA, November 8, 1997.
- Vakharia SB, Thomas PS, Mascia MF, Byrd R, Kohman LJ. Analysis of hemodynamic parameters in lung volume reduction surgery. Submitted to Anesthesia journal.
- Graziano SL, Mehdi SA, Tatum A, Newman NB, Poeisz BJ, Kern J, Gamble G, Etzel J, Weidner N, Kohman LJ. Prognostic markers in resected stage I and II non-small cell lung cancer: and analysis of 260 patients with 5-year follow-up. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1998;17:460a.
- Schiller JH, Adak S, Feins R, Keller S, Fry W, Livingstone R, Wolf B, Jett J, Kohman LJ, Johnson D, Hammond E. Prognostic significance of p53 and K-ras mutations in primary resected non-small cell lung cancer: preliminary results from a prospective randomized trial of postoperative adjuvant therapy (Intergroup Trial 0115). Submitted to ASCO 1999.
- Shennib H, Kohman L, Sugarbaker D, Herndon J, Green M, The CALGB and ECOG Thoracic Surgical Oncology Group. CALGB 9335: A multicenter phase II study of video-assisted wedge resection followed by radiotherapy for T1N0 NSCLC in high-risk patients: technical outcome. Presented at the American Association of Thoracic Surgery, Toronto, May 1-3, 2000
- Long term survival outcome of a sequential trimodality trial in pathologically staged IIIA (N2) non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): final results of Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) Protocol 8935. Kumar P, Herndon II J, Sugarbaker DJ, Kohman L et al. Proc ASCO May, 2000 #1939.
- Graziano S, Gajra A, Newman N, Gamble GP, Kohman LJ. Impact of lymph node sampling on survival in patients with stage I non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). ASCO 2002
- Perry MC, Kohman LJ, Bonner JA et al. A Phase III study of surgical resection and chemotherapy (Paclitaxel/Carboplatin) with or without adjuvant radiation therapy for resected Stage III non-small cell lung cancer: CALGB 9734. Lung Cancer 2003;41(supplement 2),S55
- Gajra A, Gamble G, Newman N, Kohman LJ et al. Impact of tumor size on survival in Stage IA non-small cell lung cancer: A case for subdividing Stage IA disease. Lung Cancer 2003;41 (supplement 2),S166
- Scalzetti EM, Dixon RG, Murphy KD, Kohman LJ, Graziano SL. Radiofrequency ablation for local control of primary lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2003;41(supplement 2),S139
- M. T. Jaklitsch, L. Gu, D. H. Harpole, T. A. D'Amico, R. J. McKenna, M. J. Krasna, L J Kohman, S. J. Swanson, M. M. Decamp, D. J. Sugarbaker, CALGB Thoracic Surgeons. Prospective Phase II Trial of Pre-Resection Thoracoscopic (VATS) Restaging Following Neoadjuvant Therapy For IIIA(N2) Non-small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC): Results of CALGB 39803. ASCO 2005
- M. C. Perry, L. Kohman, J. Bonner, L. Gu, X. Wang, E. Vokes, M. R. Green, for Cancer And Leukemia Group B. Updated analysis of a Phase III study of surgical resection and chemotherapy (paclitaxel/carboplatin) (CT) with or without adjuvant radiation therapy (RT) for resected stage III non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) CALGB 9734. ASCO 2005
- D'Cunha J, J. L. Herndon, D. L. Herzan, G. A. Patterson, Kohman LJ, J. A. Kern, M. Green, M. A. Maddaus, R. A. Kratzke; Poor correlation between clinical and pathological staging in stage I non-small cell lung cancer: Results from CALGB 9761, a prospective trial. ASCO 2005
- Morbidini-Gaffney S, Kohman LJ, Dexter E, Scalzetti EM, Bogart JA. Definitive Treatment of Poor-risk Patients with Stage I Lung Cancer: A Single Institution Experience. Poster Presentation, ASTRO November 2006.
- Demmy TL, Kohman LJ, Wang X. Hypothetical Double-Consent Design. NCI Clinical Trial Accrual Symposium, Bethesda, MD, April 29-30, 2010
- Demmy T, Gu L, Burkhalter J, Toloza E, D’Amico T, Sutherland S, Wang X, Archer L, Veit L, Kohman L. In-Dwelling Catheters are superior to talc pleurodesis in the management of malignant pleural effusions (Results of CALGB 30102). aSCO, Chicago IL, June 4-8, 2010
- Kohman L, Gu L, Altorki N, Veit L, Wang X. Accuracy in Predicting Stage I Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) in CALGB 140503 (Alliance). Moderated poster session, AATS, Baltimore, May 2016.
- Last Updated: Jan 26, 2023 11:16 AM
- URL: https://guides.upstate.edu/women-in-medicine
- Print Page